Film Industry awards
People usually dislike criticism but expert consider this as a positive and healthy activity as it takes one to correct path by pointing out errors and omissions. It also helps in improving quality of work too. Critics are therefore, back bone for ensuring work quality and make progress by doing “better next time”. Those who listened to critics have reached stars and enjoying peak of profession collecting film industry awards. These critics mainly, and other professionals formed various forum for appreciating quality work in film industry too. They review the films with keen interest and with a professional eye. These forums have become popular by becoming authority in film industry too. Their awards are prestigious and give strength and recognition to recipients. They developed certain standards and levels for achieving awards and those standards need to be met religiously without a slip.
There is a large list from various countries and organizations that arrange review of film industry on various levels and then announce awards as per certain criteria for each award. Recognition of good work is done by giving away an award through their work recognition. There are nick names for awards too and surprisingly those nick names are more known and have more popularity.
These Film Industry Awards are of three categories. One is announced by critics who vote on film work on annual basis. Others are festival awards which are given to the best of the film presented during the festival and lastly the industry awards given to all who contribute for betterment if film industry, given to all field workers and directors. This may include cameramen, lighting boys and recordists too. It is basically recognition of good work to boost film industry. Every person, from writer to composer and from stage designer to sound recordist is a team to work in harmony and make the task a success. Here are few of the famous Film Industry awards.
- Among the famous film industry awards, NSFC stands for “The National Society of Film Critics” is an organization formed by film critics for American films. This forum is most prestigious organization and is known for their authority and respect in American film industry. There is a large number of critics, as much as 60, associated with NSFC who are regular contributors to newspapers, TV Channels, periodicals and magazines round the year. They are the people whose comments are considered as authority in film industry and respected as such. The forum was found back in 1966 (New York City) by a group of critics of that time. The annual awards given by NSFC are known for its prestige and approved by film critics of USA. The NSFC is also representative for America for “International Federation of Film Critics” that comprises the forum for all national organizations comprising professional film critics together with the film journalists from all around the world. Interestingly FIPRESCI has worldwide memberships in 50+
NSFC announces awards for Best Film, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting, Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Foreign Language Film and Best Non-Fiction Film
2. About The National Board of Review (NBR) is an old set up in USA for Film Industry Awards, started working more than a century ago and focused its efforts for supporting local and foreign film from art as well as entertainment point of view. This is a non-profit set up honors any distinctive artist in film industry and recognizes excellence of work in films to support freedom of expression depicted in film and responsible for Film Industry Awards. NBR main activities include supporting comments on all areas and angles of any film, patronage of educational films and caring for the film students and learners. NBR has also been helping and involved in philanthropic commitments to support film schools, students and Children Aid Society etc.
- IIFA Awards (International Indian Film Academy Awards), the famous event in India for Film Industry Awards started in 2000 at the beautiful place in England called “The Millennium Dome”. The venue shifted to various places internationally ensuring easy access to participants and invitees. This shifting of venue granted the event a global recognition and prestige. It used to be one-night event at the starting point but now stretched as three full days’ event. The celebrations also include numerous activities concerned with Indian film industry. Now the recognition is such that film industry people eagerly wait for the event. The event is now an authority on Indian film because of recognition of awards has become famous. The awards recognize excellence of various aspects in Indian film industry. A well respected forum finalizes previous year released and un-released films. Not only the annual release, the forum also considers working on basis of full decade like Male Star of the Decade, Female Star of the Decade, Director of the Decade, Music of the Decade or Movie of the Decade. These awards show a long affiliation and commitment with film industry and remind the audience about the immediate past too. Perhaps the forum will also consider life achievement awards for legends in different industry sectors.
India has become film industry hub and that is why the industry has more than 25 other awards announced by different forums in India. Some are global, some being national and some being regional but each has its own recognition.
- BAFTA is “The British Academy of Film and Television Arts”, is a self-governing charity to support, promote and develop the art practices of the moving image – that includes video games, film and television together with granting Film Industry Awards. In addition to its annual awards ceremonies, BAFTA has an international, year-round program for film industry development and coaching new entrants by conducting workshops and lectures so the talent could directly have access to expertise. BAFTA also started “the British Film Academy” in 1947 for this purpose. In 1953, the academy started another venture named ”The Guild of Television Producers and Directors” to recognize the talent by giving This was merged with “Society of Film and Television Arts” in 1958 under the royal patron-ship at Buckingham Palace. This further advanced and British Academy of Film and Television Arts(BAFTA) was officially opened in 1976 at famous Piccadilly, London for its work on Film Industry Awards.
- The most recognizable UK film trophies are bronze masks presented at its annual ceremonies for arts, TV Craft, Film, television, Video Games etc. that an American named Mitzi Cunliffe designed for the event. This is known as symbol of excellence globally. Later in 1955 the mask took other shapes depicting concept of the theatrical tragicomic mask with more complex design with certain modifications. Now BAFTA ward, including the bronze mask Film Industry Awards are presented to recognize excellence of work in film industry.
- The French film industry has a typical system for recognizing excellence in various areas of film making. Traditionally French film is criticized and reviewed by various forums namely César Awards, Lumières Award, Prix Jean Vigo, Prix Lumière, Prix Romy Schneider, Prix Suzanne Bianchetti and famous René Clair Award. Out of these The César Award is designated as the highest value film honor national film award of the country; delivered since 1976 in the Nuit des César ceremony. There is are 12 categories of filmmaking professionals having support from the French Ministry of Culture. Each February, the event is formally telecasted from Théâtre du Châtelet in Paris. Victoires de la Musique for music and Molière Award is also given for theatre. Comparing these with American Academy Award, it is the mere French equivalent. The first “Night of Caesar”, another name for César Awards started in 1976, Jean Gabin being the chairman. Étoile de cristal (fr) was awarded from 1955 till 1975 and that was later replaced by The César Awards. The period from 1934 to 1986 had been great as one prominent films used to get the Grand prix du cinéma français (fr). Another award was initiated in 1950s, named the Victoire du cinéma français (fr), Film Industry Awards given in each June. This was however discontinued in 1964 as it lacked enthusiasm. The César Awards started as 13 awards and now these are twenty two awards dedicated to nine subcategories. Besides the main ceremony, there is a sister ceremony named the Prix Daniel Toscan du Plantier (fr) that carries some additional Film Industry Awards for recognizing the new comers who show talent.
- Germany has a long history in film industry but just three Film Industry Awards granting events. These are Berlin International Film Festival followed by Golden Bear (best picture) and then Silver Bear (jury grand prize, director, actor and actress). The Berlin International Film Festival translated in German as “Internationale Filmfestspiele Berlin”, is known as “The Berlinale”. The Berlinale is among the world’s prominent film festivals and among the most respected and awaited media events. It started in Berlin in 1951 but since 1978 it is held annually attracting sale of around 0.3 million tickets sold and half million people attending the event. This makes this event and event with largest public attendance festival where around 400 films are viewed divided in various sections. Not all but just around 20 of them reach the status of Silver and golden Bears. In parallel 20,000 professionals attend the satellite events from over 130 countries. There are more than 4,000 journalists who are responsible to expose the event to 110 countries. Red carpet is made available to all movie stars, celebrities and high-profile feature film premieres. The Film Industry Awards event, no doubt has attained global media attention, cosmopolitan character integrating art; commerce and glamour in one go.
These multiple events are a source of motivating good work and bring the doers at red carpet and recognize good work and top performance to surface. Film industry related people keep waiting for the events to make their place and exhibit the best of work done by them. The events are a source of strength and togetherness of film industry where best of the best can meet and seek public opinion what they have done in such events for Film Industry Awards.